Sunday, August 5, 2012

Family Tradition

My grandparents aren't doing so hot these days and a issue is cooking. My Grandma doesn't want to do it anymore, and poor Grandpa doesn't know how...so when I go over there, I try to take some food prepared at a food prep place, like Let's Eat! or Dinner Done, or I make something myself.


My Grandma's sister (Auntie Barb from Marion, IN) is really cute and made me a cookbook once I was married of all of our family recipes. One of the best presents I received! Each recipe has a short story as to why it's special. Today I'm going to prepare 2 recipes from it...This one today...Hamburger Casserole tomorrow. My grandpa's palate right now is very bland, so I'm trying to keep things basic- but it tastes pretty darn good!


Hot Chicken Salad

From Auntie Barb's Cookbook- "There are a lot of hot chicken salad recipes in the world, but this is my favorite. I got it from Nellie Studebaker, who was our guidance counselor at school over 20 years. It's nice to make up the day before and refrigerate. It has a good combination of interesting textures.


Ingredients:

4 C cooked chicken cut into chunks

2 C chopped celery

3/4 C undiluted cream of chicken soup

2 T lemon juice

1 t salt

1 can of water chestnuts (sliced)

2/3 C grated cheese

4 hard boiled eggs (sliced)

3/4 C mayo

2 pimentoes cut fine

1 t finely minced onion

1/2 t Accent

1 1/2 C potato chips

2/3 C almonds chopped fine


Combine all ingredients except potato chips, cheese, and almonds. Place in large, rectangular baking dish. Top with potato chips, cheese, and almonds. Let stand overnight in fridge. Bake 25-30 min at 400 degrees.

No comments: