Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Beginning...

So I'm new to this whole "blog" thing. I have my profiles (Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn), but they are more for keeping up with the crew, sharing pics, you know, social stuff...but this is a whole new ball game.

So one would assume that in the beginning of the blog creation, that I would let you know who I am. All from my Front Porch Swing.

I live in a 1924 updated bungalow in an "up and coming" area about 2 miles from downtown Tampa. Hardly the burbs. "Up and Coming" = beautifully restored bungalows, new cottages made to look like old restored bungalows, and river front mansions, mixed in with uhhh some riff-raff. We love it. Our pocket of the neighborhood is quiet (well we do live next to a convent), quaint, is full of friendly neighbors, and they hold cutesy neighborhood events like "Porch Parties".

Our porch is one of my favorite parts of the house. The porch swing is a place of gossip gatherings and drunken monologues. We have some white rockers to add to the seating and it is a very popular place in the fall on Saturdays and Sundays during our many football gatherings.

My hubby and I got married on Labor Day weekend this year in Amelia Island, Florida, and so we've had a whole whopping (or wopping?) 2.5 months of newlywed bliss.

We are not alone here though. We have a roommate. I call him our Dupree (Get it? Like the Kate Hudson flick? He doesn't think it's particularly funny). He was a previous roommate of my husband's and I don't mind having him here any bit. He is witty and sarcastic and likes to read UsWeekly with me. I don't ever have to worry about being lonely if the hubby is away...not a bad gig.

We also have "children" and by that I mean our 4 legged brood. Manny is our 7 year old adopted retired racing greyhound. His racing name was 'Hanus the Man' which I think is pretty damn cool.

Our wedding present to each other was our playful pup, Walker. Walker is now a 7 month old English Bulldog puppy. He is snoring at my feet very loudly right now and that hasn't grown old to me yet. What has grown old is him going after my TB flats instead of his puppy toys. NOT COOL.

Finally, we are a mixed marriage. He is Jewish, and I am Methodist, but this is really not a religious reference by any means. I went to the best school in the whole nation, and I'm dead serious, the University of Florida. Go Gators! Chuck Norris wears Tim Tebow pajamas, Urban Meyer for Prez, "We are the Boys of Old Florida.."...you get the picture.

My husband, poor soul, went to Florida State University. Sigh. Every year he tells me they are "better, faster, stronger" than they were the previous year and this is going to be it. This has been going on 4 years now. At least he is an optimist. We have still yet to determine how we are going to raise our future kiddies in this sort of arrangement. Someone suggested the boys get to be Seminole fans, and the girls are Gators. We'll see. We'll be going to the UF/FSU game Thanksgiving weekend. I expect another silent car ride home as I gloat to myself.

So that's a glimpse of me in a nut shell. In the meantime, I'll figure this whole "blog" thing out.

2 comments:

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Hi, thanks for checking out my blog! And welcome to the blog world yourself.

And best wishes and congratulations on your recent wedding! Funny, but my family dog was a wedding present too - best gift ever.

Danielle J. said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

I know that you posted this quite some time ago, but I just had to comment on your "mixed marriage" - I have one too! I also went to UF and hubby went to FSU and I *totally* could have written your entire last paragraph! Hubby and I even have a standing bet that whoever wins the game gets to hang a little flag outside our townhouse - and the Gator flag has been flying out there since we bought it two years ago!

GO GATORS!